Tinolang Manok


I am not sure if Tinolang Manok with atsuete are authentic from Bulacan, from Bustos (our town in Bulacan) or was it just from my Mom in our kitchen. He he he... Wherever it was originated from, what I am really sure is that it is an authentic Filipino dish.

I've seen the other version of Tinola, the one with clear soup... It was almost exactly as what kind of Tinola that I am used to but without the atsuete coloring.

Anyhow, enjoy my version iof tinola...





Ingredients:
  • 1 kg chicken, cut into serving portions
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 2 tbsp crushed garlic
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 2 tbsp ginger strips
  • 2 tbsp patis (fish sauce)
  • 2 cups green papaya (unripe or slightly ripe), cut in cubes
  • 1 tsp atsuete powder - dilute in water (optional)
  • 4-5 cups water

Procedure:
  1. Sautè garlic, onion and ginger in oil.
  2. Add chicken and sautè for a few minutes.
  3. Add patis and it let simmer until meat is half-done.
  4. Pour water. Bring to boil then cover and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
  5. Add diluted atsuete powder.
  6. Put the papaya cubes and continue cooking until meat is well-done and papaya cubes are tender enough.
  7. Season to taste.
  8. Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Tinola with a twist of atsuete. I wonder what the taste of this recipe I'm afraid to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello buy and sell philippines! since ur not used to this recipe i understand ur hesitation... =D anyhow, it tasted just the same as the usual tinola without atsuete. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Tinola with atsuete is actually common in Bulacan. I'm from Sta. Maria and I think I have seen it in Oandi Balagtas and Bicaue. People find it weird when I cook it that way.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are highly appreciated!