Braised Pork Belly

One of the easiest way to cook pork is by braising it. I think it is easier than frying, less fat (I guess) and less fear of hot oil splashing all over your kitchen and to yourself. But in this version of my braised pork, I did a little effort in elaborating its flavor by brining. Thanks to my short course in Science of Gastronomy for introducing this technique!

Brining is similar to marinating but with different result. Brining helps to lock in moisture, add tenderness and deep flavor to meat, while marinating often just adds flavor to its exterior. I also put some seasoning while brining to add more flavor when I cook it. If you try to research about brining rules, you will find different techniques in doing this, but in my several experiment, I will best suggest that 1 tablespoon of rock salt to 1 cup of water is just enough.

Well, so much of the geeky procedures, below is my ingredients and procedure in doing this recipe.






Ingredients:


  • 1 Kg of pork belly (sliced in 1 inch thickness 6-7 inches long each)
  • 3 cups of water + 3/4 cup for braising
  • 3 tablespoon of rock salt
  • 2 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground pepper
  • 2 teaspoon chili flakes
  • 3 tablespoon of minced garlic
  • 3 tablespoon of minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • onion spring for garnishing


Procedure:

  1. On a container (enough depth to submerge your meat in the brine solution), mix all the ingredients, except pork. Thoroughly, combine everything.
  2. Add the pork.  Make sure that the meat is well submerged in the brine solution. Cover it and put in a fridge for at least an hour or until overnight.
  3. On a pan, put the pork and 5 tablespoon of the brine solution.
  4. Pour 3/4 cup water then turn on the heat to medium low fire.
  5. Cover and let it simmer for 7 minutes then turn sides.
  6. Continue to simmer with cover until the liquid is almost dry and thick.
  7. Remove the cover and lower the heat.
  8. Let it slightly fry until brown on both sides.
  9. You may serve it as it is or cut it into smaller portions.
  10. Garnish with chopped onion spring. Best serve with white rice.
  11. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy! What I like about it is that it doesn't seem too difficult to cook, and you used simple ingredients that are readily available in the supermarket. I'll try it one time.. I'm a sucker for anything pork hehehe

    Very nice blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank u Sir Richie of The Pickiest Eater! Thank u for visiting my blog, it is a great honor :)

      Delete

Your comments are highly appreciated!