Bibingka



It was like a torture spending Christmas here in UAE after spending our past 2 years of Christmas in the Philippines. I planned to cook so many Filipino dishes for our Noche Buena but I felt so depressed that I only manage to cooked on Christmas day.We spend few hours partying with friends but since we got home early, we then felt the sadness of waking up on Christmas morning without our family near to us. Oh well, what can we do? As we always say "Buhay OFW".

I woke up early on Christmas day and prepared bibingka or some called it puto bibingka for our breakfast. It is best to pair with ginger tea (salabat) which reminds me of our days when we spend breakfast just outside the Church after simbang gabi. This definitely made me and my husband happy and sad at the same time. 

I usually baked bibingka from a scratch but as I've said, I was a little depressed so I just made used of a ready mix powder for my batter. I bought it in a grocery store here and follow the procedure written on the box, customized it a little and that's it!






Ingredients:
  • 1 box Bibingka powder mix (I used White King brand)
  • 3 pcs. salted eggs - sliced
  • Grated cheese
  • Evaporated milk (see quantity written in the powder mix instruction)
  • Eggs (see quantity written in the powder mix instruction)
  • Sugar (see quantity written in the powder mix instruction)
  • Melted Margarine / Butter (see quantity written in the powder mix instruction) - I used margarine to have a nice golden color and good aroma.
  • Banana leaf 
  • Grated Coconut (optional)


Procedure:
  1. Follow the instruction in the box on how to make the batter. I just used evaporated milk instead of water.
  2. Put the batter on your preferred baking dish lined with banana leaf. I used small sized pan (around 12 cm diameter)
  3. Top with cheese and slices of salted egg.
  4. Bake in 325°F (160°C) for 20-30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  5. Served with fresh grated coconut. Enjoy!

See my previous post on how to bake bibingka from a scratch here :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated!