Pork Embutido



Embutido is a Filipino style of meatloaf. It is a mix of ground meat and spices then rolled in a foil; It can either be steamed or baked. Embutido can be served as cold-cuts, fried slices or fried as a whole then slice.

I've wrote a recipe here before but I sometimes change my recipe depending on the availability of my ingredients. I sometimes bake or steam my embutido, depending on my mood also. I personally like it steamed then pan fried ;) Yes, adding a little grease and frying it up makes a difference in the taste, although it is not a healthy option.

Adding minced bell pepper (red or green) adds color to the meatloaf, while putting sweet pickle relish adds a little sweetness to the flavor, but since I don't have it in my fridge and my husband is a little picky when it comes to the ingredients of whatever I cook, I decided not to add it.

Below is the recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1 kg ground pork
  • 2 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 medium sized onions - minced
  • 5 cloves of garlic - minced
  • 1\4 cup tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 cup grated carrots
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • quail eggs - boiled and peeled
  • vienna sausages / hotdog - sliced into two
  • margarine
  • aluminum foil
  • 1.5 liter of water for the steamer.



Procedure:
1.  Put the ground pork in a bowl.
2.  Add salt and pepper.
3.  Add onion and garlic.
4.  Add tomato sauce and tomato paste.
5.  Add the grated carrots.
6.  Add the grated Parmesan cheese





7.  Crack eggs and add in the bowl.
8.  Add raisins.
9.  Mix it well.
10.  Let it rest for 10-15 minutes. This lets the pork absorb the flavor and the liquid of the mixture.
11.  Prepare the quail eggs and sausages.
12.  Prepare a 12 inch x 12 inch foil and grease it with margarine (or butter).




13. Put 3 tablespoon of pork mixture on the greased foil. Spread and flatten the mixture onto
      the center of the foil.
14. Line in the center 4 pieces of quail eggs.
15. Line 3 slices of vienna sausages next to the quail eggs.
16. Roll the aluminum foil into a tightly packed log about 2″ in diameter, sealing on both ends.
      Repeat with the remaining pork mixture.
17. Place the pork mixture logs on a steamer.
18. Let it steam for an hour.
19. Remove from the steamer and let it cool.
20. You may optionally pan fried the logs of embutido to achieve a little toasted effect and taste.
21. Serve with ketchup and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated!