Laing


Laing is a spicy and creamy renowned Filipino dish mainly composed of taro leaves (tuyong dahon ng gabi) with coconut milk. This authentic dish is made special with its different variation of extra ingredients, such as pork, beef, shrimp, crab, dried fish (dilis).
For my particular recipe in this post, I made use of pork – sautéed with shrimp paste. Luckily my husband found a pack of dried taro leaves in grocery. Usually it takes 1-2 days for fresh taro leaves to be dried and have a nice texture for laing. I actually don’t know the process since I never cared at all when my mom used to prepare the taro leaves to cook laing. So today, I have to browse online to learn how to do this recipe. My husband called his mom and she suggested, not to over-stir the leaves while cooking so it won’t result to itchy effect when we eat it.
I know that there were different adaptations in cooking laing nowadays. So I’ll be sharing my own version of laing. As my mom said, the more coconut milk you use the tastier your laing will be... Here's how it goes. =D




Ingredients:
  • 1 pack dried taro leaves (120 grams)
  • ½ lb pork, cut into thin strips
  • ½ cup Shrimp paste
  • 2 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 pcs chili
  • 2 cans of Coconut milk (6 cups)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • Salt to taste
  • oil

Procedure:
  1. In a large pan, sautée garlic and onion in oil.
  2. Add the pork meat and 1/2 cup water. Let it simmer until the pork is tender and the water evaporates.
  3. Lightly fry the pork.
  4. Add shrimp paste and stir continuously.
  5. Put in the chili and simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Pour-in the Coconut milk and bring to a boil.
  7. Add the fish sauce and dried Taro leaves and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
  8. Add some salt if needed.
  9. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated!