Biko Recipe

I craved for a home-made Biko last New Year's Eve, so I decided to try my luck in cooking this authentic Pinoy delicacy. I can buy a ready made Biko from grocery stores but the taste and the texture doesn't satisfy my cravings. I've search Biko recipe over the internet. Luckily, I've found an easy to follow recipe, thus I customized the ingredients' measurements according to my taste. I usually like a not so sweet Biko with its natural color, that's why I used white sugar instead of brown.




So here's how I did it =D

Ingredients:
·         4 cups glutinous rice
·         1 can coconut milk
·         1 tbsp. vanilla extract
·         1 1/2 cup brown or white sugar (depending on how sweet you want your biko)
·         banana leaves ( optional )

Toppings
ü       grated coconut meat or
ü       latik (Using low medium heat, boil coconut milk in a saucepan, uncovered. Once it starts to thicken, watch closely so as not to burn the resulting latik (you might have to lower the heat further). Once it starts to brown, scrape the bottom of pan frequently. When brown already, drain off the coconut oil and you latik is ready.

Procedure:
1.    Cook glutinous rice in water just like you do with plain steamed rice.
2.    In saucepan, pour in coconut milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
3.    Mix, stir and let boil. Add cooked glutinous rice to coconut milk mixture and cook until thick.
4.    Spread evenly on platter lined with banana leaves or foil container (this is what I used since banana leaves are expensive here).
5.    Topped with your choice of toppings.
6.    Slice and serve.



2 comments:

Your comments are highly appreciated!