Pork Adobo

My blog is more than a half year old but I still don't have Pork Adobo in my list - - - A dish that has a unique identity for Filipino food. No, I didn't forget to add it, but believe it or not, I haven't done it before. Since, my husband and I were not really much in to pork here in UAE, unless if it is fried, grilled or roasted, so our pork recipes are quite limited.

Weekend and I couldn't think of a good recipe for pork since it was my only stock in the fridge. So, I suggested to my husband, Pork Adobon for dinner. At first he refused because he said the pork might not taste good and it is too fatty. I just convinced him that I will try to do a trick to make it taste better. And because I insisted, he was left with no choice but to agree with me.

OK, so what's the trick... At first, I really don't know. But I suddenly remember the procedure in cooking pork intestines... It was boiled with water, salt and vinegar. So, I did the same thinng. Though this is procedure is optional, since pork here in UAE are not as fresh as what we have in the Philippines, so to remove unwanted smell and taste, I add this procedure. Then everything else is just the usual procedure in cooking Adobo.



Ingredients:
  • 1 Kg  pork belly - cut into 1-1.5 inch thick
  • 3 tbsp garlic, minced or crushed
  • 2 tbsp minced onion
  • 1 pc siling labuyo  - minced
  • 3 pcs bay leaves
  • 5 pieces dried bay leaves
  • 4 tbsp + 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp whole pepper corn
  • 1 cup water
  • salt to taste
  • oil
Procedure:
  1. Bring to boil water with salt and 4 tbsp of vinegar.
  2. Add the pork. Boil for about 15 minutes (Optional). Drain and put in a pan.
  3. Add soy sauce, garlic, onion, chili, pepper corns, bay leaves and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pork.
  4. Cook for 10 minutes.
  5. Add water and 1/4 cup vinegar
  6. Simmer in a medium low fire for another 20-30 minutes or until the liquid becomes dry and the pork is tender.
  7. Once the liquid evaporates add oil in the pan and lightly fry the pork.
  8. Serve and enjoy!
Pork Adobo on FoodistaPork Adobo

2 comments:

  1. I love adobo and like you,it was only when I was married that I learned how to make this.One tip I could share is that after washing the pork meat, you can try marinating it in vinegar,garlic, and soy sauce for 12 hours or overnight.It will really infuse the meat with the different flavors. I hope you could add this pork adobo widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about pork adobo,thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your suggestion Alisa... It is actually true that marinating overnight the pork meat will result for a best tasting adobo. But since I decided late on what to cook for dinner, I have no other option but this way... he he he... I will sure to add the link you gave me.... =D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are highly appreciated!