Atsara / Atchara (Pickled Green Papaya)

It is funny that my comeback recipe is atsara/atchara, which is not a main course but a very common side-dish for us Pinoys. It has been 2 months since my last post. I've had many recipes piled-up but I guess I'm just so excited to share with you guys a very easy and authentic Filipino food side-dish that was made possible only because of my wild curiosity.

I don't know what popped in my head that I was suddenly challenged to make my own atsara. We don't even have main dish lined-up to match it. Anyhow, I made it perfectly and it is also a very nice gift for relatives and friends especially for the upcoming holiday season =)




Ingredients:

  • 4 cups of shredded green papaya
  • 1 big or 2 small carrots - shredded + flower sliced
  • 1/2 cup onion - sliced
  • 3 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 medium size green bell pepper - julienned
  • salt
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 cups vinegar


Procedure:

  1. Rub shredded papaya with salt and wash thoroughly.
  2. Squeeze out all the water and dry in trays for at least 2 hour.
  3. Mix all ingredients except sugar and vinegar. Set aside.
  4. In a casserole, bring to boil the mixture of sugar and vinegar. Let it boil for a minute, switch off the fire and let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
  5. Pour the vinegar mixture on top of papaya mixture and combine well.
  6. Put it a container and sealed properly. Let it cure for a day or so before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly appreciated!