Beef with Broccoli

It is quite unusual for my husband to request or decide what will be our dinner. Most of the time we argue on what to cook for dinner. Not because we contradict on what will be our food menu but because he couldn’t think of any suggestion for me to cook. And sometimes, being in-charge of cooking it is tiring to do the thinking as well. The best suggestions he could come-up with are, “just fry meatloaf” or “let’s just buy grilled chicken”. So, not to be stuck with fried or grilled stuff, I am encouraging him to suggest something else other than the usual ones.
Lately, my blog has been a great help for him to widen his choices for food suggestions. He will just browse my blog and suggest what he wants or what is similar to a specific recipe that I haven’t posted yet.
Earlier today, I asked him what he wants for dinner and he eagerly suggested “Bistek Tagalog!” Then later this afternoon he called me and said, “Hon, I changed my mind for dinner, let’s just have Korean beef barbeque.” Of course, not to let this rare chance of him being eager of suggesting slip away, I just agreed on him.
We did the grocery but unluckily we didn’t found any bean sprout for the recipe of Korean beef barbeque… =(      Not to spoil the dinner plan, we just thought of a similar recipe but with a different vegetable ingredient. We came-up with Beef Broccoli. And I guess it turned-out well, since it is one of my favourites and I haven’t featured it here in my blog yet.
I’ve cooked this recipe several times even before I’ve started blogging. And through the years I’ve revised and add some ingredients to match my taste. I’ve used sweet soy sauce instead of oyster sauce, since oyster sauce is too salty for me. I let salt do the job for it though. And I add peanuts for a change =D 

 
 
 
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 Kg beef strips
  • 3 cups broccoli florets
  • 2 tablespoon garlic - minced
  • 2 tablespoon onion - minced
  • 1/2 cup peanuts (cooked)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • water
  • salt
  • pepper
 
 
Procedure:
  1. Boil beef strips with salt in water for about 20-30 minutes or until tender.
  2. Drain beef and put in a bowl.
  3. Pour soy sauce and lemon juice in to the beef then mix it. Set aside.
  4. Heat oil in a wok with low medium fire.
  5. Saute garlic and onion.
  6. Mix in the marinated beef with its marinating mixture. Cover and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
  7. Add 1 1/2 cup water, peanuts, sugar, sweet soy sauce, pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
  8. Dilute cornstarch in 1/2 cup warm water and mix 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce.
  9. Pour the cornstarch mixture in the wok and mix.
  10. Add the broccoli florets, cover the wok and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. (Do not overcook the broccoli to preserve its crisp)
  11. Serve with white rice and Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you made me crave for beef and broccoli! I've never tried them with peanuts (my brothers complain about peanuts in our meals) but this one looks really good! :)

    Oh, I've added you to my Foodie Exchange blog list over at Sassy Chef :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big thanks Sassy Chef. I love your blog! I've actually spent my whole afternoon reading your articles =D (while in office =D he he he)...

    Peanuts are actually optional for this recipe. My husband isn't a fan of peanuts either but since i love peanuts and i am the cook-in-charge, so, he doesn't have a choice.... =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you sure that we need 1 cup of garlic and 1 cup onions?isn't this too much?by the way how big is your 1 cup?i love beef with broccoli and i would like to try your recipe one time.....thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello! thanks for your info... i have revised the recipe above... sorry for the typo i've posted earlier. =D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are highly appreciated!